Thursday, January 12, 2012

Welcome Diane Barr, author of Out of the Shade



One look at Diane's author picture, and you know this a woman who is colorful, imaginative and lives life to the fullest. Just my kinda gal! She gives a great interview, too! See below:

1. What is your favorite book?
Guilty Pleasures and A Kiss of Shadows (both by Laurell K. Hamilton)

2. Who is your favorite writer?
Laurell K. Hamilton and Agatha Christie

3. What is your favorite word?
Believe

4. When and how do you write? (typewriter, Mac, in a café, for four hours each morning, etc?)
I carry a notebook with me everywhere I go so I can write whenever I get an inspiration, idea or I have a scene pop in my head. Or sometimes I’ll write in the evenings after my second job. Weekends is when I get on my laptop (windows 7 with Office 07) and type all the weeks handwritten stuff.

5. What is your greatest fear when you first turn in a manuscript? It’s very daunting to put yourself and your “baby, your precious” out there for people to criticize and cut up, but it’s how things are in the process of publishing a book. So I try not to dwell on the awesome scene that might get cut and focus on making the manuscript incredible.

6. In what era do you wish you’d been born?
Egyptian time of the Pharoahs

7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Dude and seriously – we won’t talk about swearing - lol

8. Which talent would you most like to have?
To be able to sing and to be immortal.

9. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
My two children and having my dreams come true; publishing my book.

10. Who is your favorite hero of fiction?

This one was very hard for me because I have so many of them, so I chose five –
Indiana Jones – he was also Han Solo ;)
Harry Potter
Aloysius Pendergast from the Douglas Prestom/Lincoln Child books.
Dr. Temperance Brennan
Dr. Kay Scarpetta

------------------

Out of the Shade blurb:
Faeries that carry katanas and guns instead of sprinkling magic dust and granting wishes. Dragons that reanimate the dead. Drug-crazed goblins terrorizing neighborhoods. Illegal demons attempting to conjure the alter ego of an Egyptian goddess.

Sounds like something out of a nightmare, right? Wrong. It’s my everyday life.

Welcome to the Shade, where all the creatures of myth hang out and where I, Detective Gabrielle Tate of the Supernatural Task Force, police them. My partner is AWOL and my sexy dragon boss is leaving nothing to chance as we deal with goblins high on Escape and a serial killer—or worse, a nest of rogue vampires—leaving the drained corpses of faeries and cops all over town.

And then there’s the psychotic demons trying to conjure the goddess Hathor’s alter ego, Sekhmet, to destroy humanity. As a faery and direct descendent of Hathor, I’m eager to manifest her power and use it to combat evil. At the same time, I need to learn how to control the accompanying bloodlust. How? By taking lessons from the charismatic leader of the local vampire clan, of course.

If you thought the mean streets of Detroit were tough, you’ve never seen the Shade.


Out of the Shade Buy Link: http://tinyurl.com/6opbo46

3 comments:

Pat Dale said...

Love the blurb, which proves that crimefighting is a constant, no matter what galaxy you inhabit. Good luck with Shade, Diane. Oh, and I also love your hairstyle.
PD

Diane said...

Hi Heather!!
Thank you so much for having me and giving me an awesome intro! You rock!

Thank you Pat for your well wishes!!
Diane

Heather Haven said...

While I am usually not into fantasy, this is detective fantasy, which sounds right up my alley! Love the idea. I wonder if Lee Alvarez can have a time warp and wind up in the Shade?