Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Welcoming Dianne Hartsock, Author of Trials of a Lonely Spectre



This is a intriguing cover and makes you want to read this paranormal short story. The blurb sounds fantastic! But first, a little bit about Dianne, who reveals a lot through her interview.

1. What is your favorite book?

Out of all the questions I’m asked, that’s still the hardest one for me to answer. Which genre, is what I ask in return. But if I had to choose, it would be The Return of the King by Tolkien. I think of the trilogy as one book, but the ending in this one breaks my heart every time I read it. Frodo is the perfect hero. I wish I could have known him.

2. Who is your favorite writer?
Again, which genre! I’m a veracious bookworm with lots of favorites. At the moment I have to say its C. J. Cherryh. I’ve been reading her books for the past thirty three years and have fallen in love with all of her heroes. I’ve only recently discovered her scifi stories (yea!) and have whole new worlds to explore through her. Her plots are intense, her characters believable and likable.

3. If the answers to 1 & 2 are different, why?
That’s a very good question! I love the fantasy world Tolkien’s created and hide away in it now and again. And he’s definitely influenced my writing the most. Not style! I couldn’t dream of being that good. But when I read his books, my mind seems to expand with possibilities.

Cherryh, on the other hand, writes in a more contemporary style, and they’re just darned good books!

4. How old were you when you were first published?
I’m not telling! But besides a short story in the local paper when I was sixteen, my very first publication was last May. But what a year I’ve had! My greatest joy was when my paranormal thriller novel ALEX was published. I can’t tell you the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment I feel when I hold the print book in my hands. I also have four short stories published as eBooks with a few more on the way.


5. What is your favorite word?
Hope. It doesn’t matter how successful/unsuccessful, happy, sad, in love or not; there’s always hope for a better tomorrow. There’s a Christmas display at a house I pass every evening on the way home from work during the Christmas season with the word HOPE prominently displayed. It fills my heart with peace every time I see it.

6. When and how do you write? (typewriter, Mac, in a café, for four hours each morning, etc?)
I work full time as a floral designer, so in order to get any writing done I have to adhere to a very strict schedule. Up at 7a.m. to write for an hour before work. Home at 6p.m. to make dinner. My husband wakes early for his job so he’s in bed by 8:30, when I write for another three hours. Yikes! I try not to think about it too much. Keep in mind, this includes all my time on FB, Twitter, blogs and promoting—all the distractions of the internet! I am blessed with having a day off during the week, though, that I also devote to writing. Let me tell you, it’s now my favourite day of the week!

7. What is your greatest fear when you first turn in a manuscript?
After the long hours and hard work, laughter, tears and joy we put into a MS, I don’t think anyone can help feeling a little anxious about submitting. But a few years ago I had an incident I’ve never forgotten. I’ve spent several years working on a fantasy novel, still without any takers! Anyway, I received from one of the publishing houses I submitted to about the worst rejection letter imaginable. Not only did they have no interest in my story line, but they attacked my query letter as well, pointing out its glaring flaws and commenting on how unprofessional it was. Sure, I was just starting out and made some mistakes, but I still don’t see the point behind their bluntness. A standard rejection letter would have been kinder. Now I always have that niggling fear of someone’s cruelty with words.


8. Which talent would you most like to have?
I still dream of one day painting in oils. I can’t tell you why! I’m not really sure myself. But I like to think I paint in words and in my flower arrangements. There seems to be a need in me to create something beautiful on canvas as well. I just have to find the time for lessons!

9. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
My children, of course! I have two fantastic kids, both in college and on their way to wonderful futures, God willing.

10. Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
I've been reading the wonderful 'Fortress' series by C.J. Cherryh. Books to fill you with joy and longing and wonder and magic... The perfect escape. And the hero, Tristen, engages all my sympathy. I have a secret crush on him, but don’t tell anyone!

'...they would ride out simply to see the winter and to hear what Tristen would say of it, how he would wonder at things men simply failed to look at, past their childhoods.
But, oh, how precious those things were! To look at the sky, breathe the cold wind, have fingers nipped by chill and skin stung red and heart stirred to life, gods, he had been dead until Tristen arrived and asked him the first vexing question, and posed him the first insoluble puzzle, and marveled at hailstones and mourned over falling leaves. What miracles there were, all around, when Tristen was beside him...' –The Fortress of Eagles

-------------------------

The Trials of a Lonely SpecterMuseItUp Publishing http://bit.ly/rhfkBG

Blurb:
There’s been an accident. Quinn believes he’s dead, though Liam insists otherwise. But if that is the case, why does Quinn see the two of them as ghosts? And why does Liam play along? Exposed to mediums and apparitions, Quinn has to make a decision: either accept his fate or risk everything to trust Liam one more time.



Thank you, Heather, for having me as your guest today. Hope your New Year is going wonderfully! You can find me at:

Blog: http://diannehartsock.wordpress.com/
FB: http://www.facebook.com/diannehartsock
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/diannehartsock
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4850270.Dianne_Hartsock

8 comments:

gail roughton branan said...

Hey Dianne! I always love it when folks answer Heather's questions. We find out so much about each other.

diannehartsock said...

*waves* Hi Gail! I've really enjoyed this month on Heather's blog. What a great idea! And so many interesting posts. Thanks for stopping by. :)

Pat Dale said...

Hi, Dianne. Waving from Missouri. Good luck with Trials!
PD

diannehartsock said...

Thanks, Pat! Enjoy your day. :) How's the weather out there? We've been flooding in Oregon.

booklover0226 said...

Hi, Dianne.

I enjoyed the interview! I always learning something new about you.

Tracey D

Heather Haven said...

I've enjoyed having all my guests this month! I'll be sad when it's over. And Dianne, your book sounds like such an interesting premise!

diannehartsock said...

*hugs Tracey* Hi!

I'm very glad to be part of your month, Heather. Thanks!

J.Q. Rose said...

Dianne, I know how those words of rejection can sting. How rude it is to add to the hurt by attacking you. I received a terse, mean rejection letter from, of all places, a children's publisher!! She/he (the person never even had the courage to sign her name)told me I used as 96 times. Not even a thank you for submitting. sigh...I doubt she even read the ms, but just used word finder on it! Glad you found a great publisher in Muse.