Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcoming the New Year in with Roseanne Dowell


We're starting off Blogging in 2012 with the one, the only Roseanne Dowell, a prolific and terrifc writer. Her new book, Secrets, Lies, & Love releases in only three more days, Jan. 4, 2012, from Books We Love Publishing.

Give us a teaser about your new book, Roseanne, please.

A dilapidated Queen Anne Victorian, a dead body, and an ex boyfriend complicate life for Meghan Shelby when she returns to her hometown after a ten year absence.



Excerpt:

Meghan loved this time of year, though a little too hot to start school in her opinion. Why they felt the need to go back in August was beyond her. She remembered her mother complaining about it years ago. “What was wrong with starting after Labor Day like they did in my day?” Her mother used to rant and rave for weeks before school started. Even got on the School Board. Not that it changed anything. School still started the last week in August. Meghan smiled at the memory.
Now that she thought about it, it was silly. Like they took the last week of vacation away from the kids. Bet the teachers didn’t like it either.
Meghan pulled into the school parking lot. Not much had changed here either. New landscaping, new windows, but that was about it. The old building looked pretty much the same.
Her footsteps echoed in the empty hall. She’d never been in the school when it was empty before. The strong odor of wax and other cleaning products prickled her nostrils. The clean smell lingered through the first few days of school.
It had been a long time since she’d been to the principal’s office and she stopped outside, took a deep breath and held it. Here goes nothing. Mr. Duncan said look for Mr. Mac. He must be new in town. It wasn’t a name she remembered. So what was the worse he could say? Letting out her breath, she hurried inside, before her nerve left her. A man stood with his back to her, unpacking a box of books.
“Excuse me. I’m looking for Mr. Mac.”
“I’m Mr. Mac.” He turned toward her.
Meghan’s breath caught in her throat. “Patrick!” The word slipped out of her mouth, before she could stop it. The love of her life stood in front of her, even better looking and sexier than she remembered. Her heart skipped a beat, her legs turned to jelly, and she grabbed the edge of the desk to steady herself.
Patrick smiled at her. That easy smile she remembered from long ago. The smile she used to love. It lit up his eyes.
“Little Meghan Shelby. Not so little anymore I see.”
Heat burned her cheeks as Patrick looked her up and down, apparently taking in every inch of her. He remembered her. After all this time he knew who she was. Would wonders never cease?
“Uh, um...” Oh crap. Now wasn’t the time to get tongue tied. “You’re the principal here?” Lord, could she work for him. See him every day?
“Yes, I am. I heard you were back in town. Are you staying then? Do you want to register your child?”
“Huh?” Her child, was he nuts? “Uh no I’m here about the secretarial position. Mr. Duncan was supposed to call you.”
“Really? You want the job?”
“Yes, didn’t Mr. Duncan call? He told me to come right over.”
“If he did I didn’t hear the phone. I’ve been in and out of the office.” He nodded toward the stack of books. “Too busy around here this time of year.” Patrick grinned and motioned her into his office. “So tell me about yourself. What qualifies you for the job?”
Qualifications? Think damn it. What was the matter with her? She’d lost all train of thought. “Well, I’m computer proficient. I’m good with math. And I love children.” What more could he want?
“I see. So why do you want the position? Tell me about your education.”
His deep voice sent shivers down her spine. Meghan couldn’t take her gaze from him. All sense of reason flew out the window. She had the most God awful urge to reach up and push his dark hair out of his eyes. “I’m a former Math major, have two years of college. I’m a quick learner.” Finally, she looked away.
The phone rang.

http://bookswelove.net/dowell.php

6 comments:

Pat Dale said...

Only someone who's been there could describe the ambiance of an old school building the week before fall classes. As a long time teacher, your cataloging of the feel of such a place rang true for me.
Looks like a great read in the making. Good luck with it, Roseanne!
PD

Sara Durham Writer ~ Author said...

Hi Roseanne, your excerpt drew me in too, and a dead body to boot, congratulations on the upcoming release!

Cheers, Sara

gail roughton branan said...

Well, I have to confess -- I was a Beta Reader before submission -- and therefore I can say with absolute certainty that readers will love this book! (But I'm not gonna spoil anything!)

Cheryl said...

This sounds like a fabulous book. Roe. Wishing you the best in all you do.

Cheryl

Heather Haven said...

Can't wait to read it, myself, Roseanne! And love the cover. Good luck with it and thanks for dropping by!

J.Q. Rose said...

Love that title, Roseanne. Sounds like another winner. Best wishes on your new release!